Wednesday 14 April 2010

I love Granny Squares..

They are so relaxing to crochet, so repetitive and easy to make once you've decided which type of square to make.

I was lucky enough to come across this first edition Womans Day magazine at my local book exchange... what a find! :) I couldn't believe my little eyes.

It was made in 1973 -so still a bit younger than me (lol) but aren't the pictures and pattern fab!

I just obviously I had to snap it up, and I just thought I'd show you some of the lovely patterns that are in it...






This is the 'blurb' part as my children call them.. I don't know if these magazines are still made in America? Do you?....














I just love these colourful afghans... I must get round to making another one..



Look at this gorgeous table cloth -maybe I should make this next .... I love the colours of the daisies..








Don't you think that the little girl down on the right is absolutely adorable?



Now this is my latest finished piece, It's just made from 'two round' granny squares that have been crocheted together as I go along... so I haven't 'blocked' it as yet. It's going to be a cushion cover when I get round to purchasing some natural cotton for the back...




This is one of my morning (and afternoon, and.... evening) visitors...




As soon as you open the back door, she flies down and stands on the edge of the doorstep , fighting off any other blackbirds.....




Then she stands on the edge of the door frame waithing for her raisins to take back to her babies. She's done this for the past three years!!




She has learnt not to hop into the kitchen, because if she get startled by the children running into the kitchen, she gets stuck on the window sill, and forgets the way out! So she sensibly noe stays by the door and then she can make a quick getaway if something makes her jump! :)

If the back door isn't open, she stands at the kitchen window looking in until you feel sorry for her and open the back door to offer more raisins or oats!

Do you have any visitors to your doors?
Hopefully this post will come out a bit better looking than my last ones, as I have taken all your kind advice and used it!! LOL
Have a good week lovely people...












8 comments:

  1. Ooh, that book is a great find! I love that blanket with the circles and squares together- very mod. We still have Woman's Day magazine in the US, but it looks quite a bit different now.

    What is your little visitor's name- surely after 3 years you've given her one?! I used to have squirrels who would come pester me regularly, but I had to cut them off because they started moving every single one of their relatives into our backyard. We had a groundhog for a season, also- Strawberry was great fun. I loved feeding him/her turnip greens bought specially at the grocery store. You're lucky to have such a sweet and clever little friend there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Jennie, she's called 'Hen' and her husband who has a pink foot is called 'Scrit'. He also is quite friendly, but not as much as her.
    We also have a little Robin who will occasionally take raisins from our hands...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I wish I could crochet like you, it is gorgeous! I am slowly (very slowly!) teaching myself! Love your little visitor, how sweet! My Aunts next door neihbour use to have one who would sit on her window sill and tap on the window to get her attention! I had a cat that used to use the door knocker! Have a lovely weekend! Your post is wonderful! suzie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. fabulous images.
    My mum had a pigeon visit & come in the house after her parter died so we called it Don after him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi - I have left something for you on my blog - I hope it will make you smile, but if not please feel free to ignore -

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. thx for your sweet message - funerals are sad / happy / sad I find. It'll be nice to spend some time with my big brother too !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely visitor. Raisins, huh? I have lots of robins in my yard that I adore. Would they eat raisins?

    Thank you for your supportive words regarding my skirt project. I'm almost done with my waistband, and it's lookin' pretty good. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness. I love your visitor! I would love to have her come by here.

    ReplyDelete