Wednesday 7 April 2010

My Favourite Things...




Yarn bowl


Fabric bowl




Tags with crochet scallop edge




Lace and jute twine. I love natural items to work with.




Treasured needle holder






Favourite crochet hook

















Well here goes....
I've been sitting on the sidelines too long.. I couldn't think of anything to blog about, but now I've had a while to think (quite a while actually...) I thought I would start off just by showing you a few of my favourite things.

Now, the photo above the above sentence (if that makes sense..) was supposed to come out above this sentence, so bear with me in this blogging lark, I'm bound to make a few mistakes :) I'm going to pop on another photo and see where that comes out!?

Oh, I see, the writing goes down and the photo's go up ! :) I'll have to see how it comes out when I press the 'publish post' button.

Anyway, back to my 'favourite things'.... I love crocheting I've been doing it for a couple of years now. I love to crochet with big hooks, and with lots of different types of yarn at once, and with rag strips which takes aaaagggggeeeessss to cut up but is well worth the effort. One of my favourite things is my homemade size 12mm crochet hook. I didn't know that I could also 'wittle' wood until I couldn't find a size 12mm hook anywhere to buy in the u.k., so I went to my local charity shop and bought a wooden size 12mm knitting needle, cut it in half with a pair of secataurs (spelling?) and then used a craft knife and sandpaper to make a hook! And it's my favorite one. It's the big one in the 3rd photo above next to the gold one.

Next I also love sewing and making thins like cushions and toys. I also love crocheting my own little 'lacy' bits like edgings and buttons for my cushions. I have got shops on Etsy, DaWanda, Folksy, Misi, and Coriandr, but as yet (the same with blogging) have lacked the get up and go to actually list anything!! lol, but now I've actually got round to blogging, I might get round to listing something in one of them!

Another of my favorite things is my lovely needle holder made by my youngest daughter who was ten when she made it. Actually it's not just one of my favourite things, it's one of my treasured possessions, and the two little buttons on the heart are part of my mothers day present from her this year (they were 85p and £1.05 bless her) which I obviously couldn't part with in any thing I made, so I sewed them on to the case.

All the other pictures are just things I've made or like.

Now, I'm not very 'technical', and have no idea how to add links or put things at the side of my blog, so feel free to send me any advice or ideas as they will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading my first blog.. I'd love and welcome any comments .....




























11 comments:

  1. Congratulations! You're on and you did a great job. Don't worry, I'm not very computer savvy either; I don't know how to add all kinds of technical gadgets to my blog. I am sure you and I will learn as we go along. I've only been blogging since February, so it's all new to me as well. We'll keep each other motivated I'm sure. Talk soon, Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou for your congratulations Victoria. It's lovely of you to pop over to read my blog. Hopefully we'll both pick things up as we go along...:)
    Kind regards, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!!!! You did it!!!! Congratulations on making the big plunge- I am so happy to read about you and your favorite things...

    did you know that the spelling "favourite" is one of my favorite things? I feel silly doing it myself since I am as American as they come.

    Anyhoo- how COOL that you made your own crochet hook!!! You are one handy woman. Love the flowered needle kit, too :) I look forward to seeing your blog grow and grow. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankyou for your congratulations too Jennie. It's lovely of you to pop over to have a look!
    I've still got a lot to learn :) but I'll get there in the end. Thankyou for all your encouragement, you are a great inspiration Jennie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! What a lovely blog! Thanks for popping in to see me and leave your lovely comment too. I love your post, and it sounds like this is new for you, so you have done a fab job so far! Suzie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thankyou Suzie, it's lovely of you to pop over and see my blog too! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there! well done on starting your blog! I love the needle case - I can understand why it's a treasured possession.
    I'm very impressed by your ingenuity in making a crochet hook. Have you ever tried broomstick crochet? I remember seeing instructions on how to do it, but I've never tried. Thanks for your kind comments about my crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where are you ? I'm in Milford on Sea !
    I love your natural materials - infact I'm inspired to learn having seen these with a homemade hook too !
    Well done - this Blogging lark gets a bit addictive - I'm going to add you to my favourites

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thankyou all so much for your lovely comments. Never would I have dreamed to get so many on my first post!
    No Elaine, I've haven't yet tried broomstick crochet, it's one I want to have a go at though. I'll keep you posted when I try it.
    I agree, blogging is very addictive, and I've been so busy reading everyone elses blogs, I haven't yet done a second post which I'll do tomorrow (hopefully!).
    Thankyou ladies, for making my blogging worthwhile!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Thanks for you message, I will do some research on the others, some of which I hadn't heard of !. I am quite new to blogging myself and also a bit scared to mess around with the gadgets etc. Last time I tried to change it around a bit I lost my list of followers and comments (they did come back somehow)
    You are very clever making a crochet hook - you ought to sell them !
    I will follow your blog and its good to 'online' meet you
    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thankyou all for your comments, it's been great to hear from you.
    I would just like to add, that I didn't crochet the natural colour lace trimmings in the photos, they are shop bought! :)

    ReplyDelete