Friday 24 September 2010

My two new projects..

Hello lovely people. Hope you've all had a lovely day! 
Well, I'm back to tell you all about my two new projects. The only thing is, I forgot to take photos of one of them, so I'll just have to describe it untill I get the photos on here:)
~*~
Right, the first new project is going to be my Christmas 'Granny' square 'christmas tree' skirt.
In our new bungalow this year, we're going to have a real Christmas Tree! 
Yes, a real one! LOL 



We haven't had a real one for about 18 years, and the children have never had a real one, so I'm very excited! (more so than the children!  Obviously I'm just still a child at heart! LOL)
I'm determined to have it all really nice and homemade!
So I thought I would crochet a christmas tree skirt in the style of  a poncho!
I haven't got a recipe for it, so I'm making it up as I go a long ;0)
I'm doing traditional coloured grannies, and joining as I go ...
Well, thats my first new project.
~*~
The second project -that I don't yet have a photo for- is a new afghan.
I'm calling it my starlight afghan.
I found the recipe for this one in another old crochet magazine from the seventies.
You make a chain star in the middle in bright colours, then you crochet a granny type edging in black (again I'm joining as I go, but that bit isn't in the recipe..) then as you go along, the 'stars' shine out amongst all the beautiful black night sky! Get it?
I'm doing my stars in neon colours to add to the brightness of the stars.
The only thing I'm not sure about is it says to use a 5mm hook, but I feel that that size is too big, it makes the squares kinda floppy? Know what I mean?
But I'm going to persevere even if I don't think it looks perfect :)
~*~
When I finish the star one, I'm going to 'tweak' it, and make a smaller blanket for a little boy I know who has epilepsy. His parents have had to make a brave decision and let him go for brain surgery next year to see if they can 'find anything' to help him. I think that's so brave of them, 'cos he's only six!
So I thought I'd make him a little 'blankie' to take with him  :)
~*~
Anyway, as soon as I can I'll take a photo and show you what I mean.
~*~
In the mean time, if you'd like to see some sublime crochet, and a lovely (well two actually) Etsy shop, you need to pop over and see Jennie at sosorosey .
Her crochet is amazing. And oh boy do I wish I could work as hard as her at an Etsy shop, let alone two of them!
Even though I do rag crochet, I'm going to have to buy something from her one day, just so that I can show everyone how much Jennie inspires me, and obviously so I can have one of her lovely tags that she sends out with each and every piece of work!
~*~
I hope the link to Jennie works, I haven't done one before, so just give me a nudge if it doesn't work properly!  ;0)

Have a great weekend one and all.
Take care x

6 comments:

  1. Lovely Christmassy granny squares. I can't wait to see your finished projects and I bet your tree will look lovely with its festive skirt.

    I agree, Jennie's Etsy shop is lovely.
    Have a lovely weekend,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't you the sweetest friend?! Thank you for giving me such a lovely surprise- I'm blushing over here :) Your two new projects sound exciting, and I'm looking forward to seeing that beautiful tree this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Christmassy, now you've made me want to have a real tree again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of your Christmas tree stand cover - we used the same fabric every year & I loved it. What fun you'll have with a real tree.
    How kind of you to make a blanket for the little boy. Wishing him lots of luck

    ReplyDelete
  5. hiya- many thanks for your lovely comment about my Vintage at the Village Hall fair; I really look forward to seeing you!
    Could I be cheeky enough to ask if you'd be able to find a home for a few flyers if I sent them over when they come back from the printer?
    Knowing how busy you are I quite understand if you wouldn't have time, and hope you don't mind me asking...;-)
    All love xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such cute granny squares. They will make a wonderful tree skirt.

    ReplyDelete