Thursday 23 September 2010

Well, I've been a very busy bee....

Well, hello lovely people. How are you all?
I have been very busy lately. First off, I wrote a lovely post last night. Took me aaaagggges it did. But then 'blogger' started to mess about. First it wouldn't post my photos, then it hadn't saved my draft. So I lost the lot!
Never mind though, I'm back for another go tonight!
~*~

Below is a picture of the lovely apples out of my garden that I've been busy stewing away to freeze for crumbles and pies and sauce.
I've also been out picking pounds of blackberries which are also stored away in the freezer.
In my garden, I've also inherited some branches from a neighbours nut tree. These cob nuts are delicious. I've been picking then up from the ground, and I'm going to make nut roasts with some of them, and save the others for Christmas.
They're unususal nuts with a 'red' colour jacket. Does anyone know what these are called, as they're not like usual wild hazel nuts.
~*~
Have also been busy making my first ever batch of Apple Chutney.
It looks tasy, but we'll have to let it 'brew' a couple of months to see what it tastes like!
When I was little, we never had 'pickle' in our house, we only ever had homemade chutney. So I haven't tasted this for over 25 years!
I managed to make 8lbs of it, so I hope it's nice! LOL!
~*~
We've also been busy re-vamping the garden.
Will show you before and after pictures when the grass and flowers have grown next spring.
~*~
Eldest daughter has been very poorly this past week, with loads of seizures. They just don't seem to stop sometimes. So far since they went back to school three weeks ago she's had to have more time off school than she's been in it bless her!
Still, I  went into school today for a meeting to get her timetable reduced to give her a breather,
I really hope this helps.
~*~
It's our 20th Anniversary this week for how long me and my husband have been together! Goodness, doesn't time fly! I've now known my husband longer than anyone else I currently know, as my parents are no longer with me, and due to a family dispute I haven't seen any of my five older sisters for over 12 years, and I've known my husband since I was five!
We haven't been able to celebrate yet as ED has been so poorly. But when she's a bit better and back at school then we'll go somewhere nice just for a meal.
~*~
Ooooo, do you remember my sulks from last week? LOL
Well, I've been shopping.....
I wanted to start a couple of new projects, and of course I needed a size 4.5mm hook. So I had NO CHOICE I'm telling you, but to buy a new one.
Off I trotted to the shops, and what did I spy?

THIS:
WHAT a beauty!.....
Look at the fabulous colours. It's a hand made, double ended, size 6mm and 6.5mm wooden crochet hook!
Just what I didn't need ! LOL
I just love, love, love it!
As you know- if you've been reading my blog since the begining,- my fav hook is the large wood one I wittled. Well, this one is a close second!
Having bought it, I actually felt very greedy and wasteful, as I really didn't need that size, -it was the smallest one they had left on the shelf, and it did cost £5.45! (about $9).- BUT, I'm getting over that feeling :)
And as my -not very sympathetic- husband said when I broke my bamboo one...
"It's only a twig!"  LOL
~*~
See the afghan above that it's laying on?
Well, that was the first full afghan I made. I wanted to practice granny squares, so I kept them all one colour each so that I could just practice 'going round'. lol
~*~
Anyway, I'm going to try shorter posts now, and post them more often (famous last words!).
So i'll be back tomorrow with the pics of the two new projects I've started.

Take care  xxx

4 comments:

  1. I'm coveting that crochet hook. How pretty, I've never seen one like that before. Your afghan's looking lovely, as is your apple chutney. I'm also looking forward to seeing pics of your garden.

    I hope your daughter's feeling better and happy anniversary. Have a nice time, however you decide to celebrate.
    Donna x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Donna- this post made me smile! I love to read of your garden and canning projects, and your new hook is stunningly beautiful. A fine twig indeed! Congratulations on 20 years, as well. I'm sorry to hear your daughter has been so unwell... I will send her good wishes. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just found your blog through foster mummy.
    I have never crocheted but it looks fun. I did take up knitting again a couple of years ago but I think it's peobably better if you have someone with you to help through the first.
    Hope your daughter is coping Ok. How old is she?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the colors on this blanket! It looks so soft and cozy!

    ReplyDelete