Thursday 30 September 2010

Jam Making....

Well Hello lovely people.
Hope you're all fine and Dandy!
Honestly, just take a look at this post.. Go on..Now, just take a
gander down below before you read any further, and look how diddy the
photos are, and the order that they're in!! LOL..

What a mess..
Well anyway, I'm getting off the track here by having my usual moan.
My post all went wrong because of Blogger! (well can't be my fault can it ;0))
It's all new and technical, and I've only just learnt the old way -well, kinda!-
Now the photos print out on my post in the order I put them on there, and not the last one first, if you get what I mean.
Any way I'll continue as if my post is all how it's supposed to be!
Where was I? Ah yes..

Jam.

I made some jam the other day (as you may by now have guessed!).
The first time ever. It's blackberry and Apple.
To get the blackberries, we spent Saturday afternoon in the forest getting just over 4lb of them, and the apples came from our inherited apple tree in the garden.
I followed the recipe in the bottom right hand corner of my post. From the book pictured in the bottom left-hand corner.

I could not believe the amount of sugar that goes into this jam.
FOUR pounds!
Still like a good girl, I followed the recipe to the letter.
Then when it was supposed to reach setting point, do you think it would set?
Yes, your right NO IT WOULDN'T!
So, I had all my saucers in the fridge nice and cool to spoon a bit of the juice on, put it back in the fridge, then a minute later take it out, give it a push with a finger, and see if it went like wrinkly skin.
IT didn't.
I rapidly boiled the jam for 35MINUTES, and still it wouldn't wrinkle.
I couldn't understand it, cos' round the edges of the saucepan, and splattered over the kitchen worktop, tiles, floor, hobtop, extractor fan, recipe book and me, all those blobs of jam had set.  :0)
So this called for drastic measures. If your jam doesn't set apparently, it hasn't got enough pectin in.
So I squeezed a lemon, and poured the juice in.
Did the 1 minute test thing, and YES it had set.
I then poured it into my hot jars straight out the oven.

I now have 6lbs of Blackberry and Apple CEMENT! LOL

I'm telling you, that blooming jam has set like rock! You have to slice into it! LOL
The words 'spread the jam' just don't even come into it!
AND SWEET! Goodness me, it's even too sweet for my two sweet-toothed girls!
(My son isn't into sweet stuff!)
This morning one of them asked for jam and peanut butter toast, and so you know what she said?
"Not your jam Mum, cos it's a bit sweet for the morning!"  LOL
Still, we live and learn don't we?

Last day of September today my lovelies. Not long till Christmas now!

Have a great weekend.
Take care X




lots and lots and lots of suger that went in it


apple and blackberry jam



the recipe

the recipe book





4 comments:

  1. You have such a lovely sense of humor, Donna- you truly make me smile :) I hope that you will find a way to enjoy your "sweet rock", even if it is "a bit sweet for the morning". xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can move the photos around Donna. Just click on them so they have the little things at each edge and then hold and drop either above or below one another. Had to describe, but have a play around with it when you've time.

    I just load mine in any order and then move them all.

    I agree though that Blogger is being a pain at the minute, my biggest problem is leaving comments, I have to make sure I copy each comment before I make it , because 9 times out of 10 they vanish and I get 'Blogger has not being able to do your request' or such like.....very frustrating!!

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dona thanks for your comments while I've been off on my travels! It's always nice to hear from you!

    You could make jam tarts with your super sweet jam? Or coming up to Christmas, you could make church window biscuits - use a shape cutter with a design with holes in the middle, dollop jam in the gaps, cook it and the jam sets like coloured glass. You can even hang them on the tree!

    X

    ReplyDelete