Monday 30 August 2010

Quilt Festival

Last weekend there was a quilt festival held in my old town. I didn't know it was going to be on before I moved, but luckily I spotted a poster at my new local library telling us all about it.
So off I went.....




This is what greeted me as I walked through the door.

All these lovely quilted cushions were in a raffle, and a winner was picked each night of the festival -needless to say, I didn't win! LOL.

Still, all the money went to good causes.



These were on offer next..... But good girl that I am (not), I resisted. - Until the end.




These were quilted Christmas trees hanging on the wall.





Beautiful quilted bags and note book covers.



The detail on the quilts is amazing.



These are the little mice from the quilt below.



Each quilt had the persons name on it who made it, and a little blurb about what inspired the quilt, which I thought was really nice.
The Grandma quilt below was inspired by a trip to America!!


I loved these 3d quilted leaves..


Below was one of my favourite quilts.
Even though it's a 'winteryish' (is that a word?) scene, the fabrics used had lovely butterflies on them and summery flowers.. It really appealed to me..



One for the cat lovers.



This was a quilted piece of artwork for an exam.
Love the 3d bikini top.




At the end of your visit, you had to choose a favourite out of about the 150 items.
I chose the quilt below because I thought it was truly an heirloom quilt. -Totally inspiring.-
It celebrated the lives of a 'young' couple who had just reached their 50th wedding anniversary. All the photos that hed been imposed onto the fabric meant something to the couple. i.e, it had a picture of the place where they met, got married, their children and grand children, first house etc...



I just thought it was amazing, and came away with quilt envy..


So I had a lovely cup of tea, and a slice of coffee and walnut cake to help me get over it!


Have a great weekend. Take care. x
P.s. Although this blog entry is dated 30th August, I've posted it on 5th September.






































































































































3 comments:

  1. What an amazing selection of quilts. I'm always amazed at the amount of work (and heart) that goes into them. It's something I'd like to attempt one day. The 50th anniversary quilt is a lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if our postmistress was exhibiting there - she has a beautiful quilt she made on display & the PO sells haberdashery so you can buy the materials there.
    I love the American lady & the winter one too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What amazing quilts and I can fully understand why you chose the "photo" quilt as a favourite it's amazing and what a wonderful family hierloom it will be.

    ReplyDelete